LOGIN TO MY WORLD

Welcome to my 'Blog' world, which is away from the real world. Get to see from my perspective & share yours with me.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

It's a man's world..........

I have always thot about the phrase " It's a man's world".

Man, ain't he lucky in comparison with his female counterpart, especially in the corporate world? Some of the common reasons being :-
  • Women are not that efficient
  • Women do not like to work late
  • The men do not go on 3 months paternity leave each time a baby is born
  • Women give more importance to family etc
  • And I don't know what else is there in the employer's mind cos they think twice while promoting women!

The first reason that women are not that efficient is just not true...I infact feel the other way...not cos I am a woman but I've seen in many instances that women indeed perform much better than most men.

Women do not like to work late - true in most cases cos they also have to work at home! (and most men seldom help much). But I am personally against working late....be it men or women. If you cannot complete your work in time implies you are not efficient. Yes, I know there are deadlines to be met and require late hours but these are not regular. These can be pre-arranged with the employer at the time of employment.

Admitted that even if I were an employer, I would not be too thrilled each time the lady is away to deliver...but hey C'mon thats the way the life has been designed. (For my delivery, I was in labour & I rushed straight from office to the hospital! Not only that I started work within a month of my delivery despite being very anemic. It was due to the heavy work load and also to prove that I am still in the race & not to be written off!)

Women give more importance to family...very true again...that is their priority (surely for me too). But tell me, is family any less important for men? Children sick, school activities, cooking, cleaning, etc.....all these are attended to by most women. Not only they do the house work but also work at office. Isn't that commendable?

Being a working mom, I need to double up my pace just to prove that I am as efficient (if not better) than my male counterparts. I work in a BIG 4 international firm, but just till about 6 months ago, women were not given any housing allowance (unless single) cos their silly argument was - you are staying in ur husband's house! It pissed me off sooooooooo badly but nonetheless I kept fighting for over 5 years. And I have only won 1/3 of the battle cos we are given only less than 50% of what the men get! Ridiculous but true. Not only that, being expats, women are not given passage yet again for the same reason. If these big firms are to discriminate this way, imagine the other places of work!

My boss knows and has seen women faring much better and doing a much better job and also receiving much appreciation from clients time and again. He does appreciate but again when it is increment / promotion time his excuses are the usual which does frustrate. My boss does prefer to employ women for the simple reason that they work better & his costs are lesser.

Infact a client of mine once commented in surprise - "A lady with a "big corner" office?" But guess what at the end of the assignment he agreed - " U must be a tough competition to the other men who work with you!"

I don't deny - many women have excelled in their fields and have proven themselves over & over again. But my point is - why is there so much of struggle? And yes not to mention about the few male colleagues who seldom appreciate a female colleague equaling them or being superior to them.

And that's why I tend to think that - It is a man's world indeed and a juggle for the women between work and home.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Shalini said…

    hey dat was just my reflection... it was great reading urs... u hv just caught the exact facts... its rocking...

    "The first reason that women are not that efficient is just not true...I infact feel the other way...not cos I am a woman but I've seen in many instances that women indeed perform much better than most men." -
    exactly... they r scared and their big bloated egos cant have women perform better than them... to escape frm it they deny the opp. nevertheless.. we dont wait for them... we grab them....

    feeling gr8 after i read urs...

     
  • At 5:47 AM, Blogger smiley said…

    First time to your site interesting article. i agree with quite a few points about rent, especially working mom needs double the pace :). but there is a other side to the story too :)

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Has to be me said…

    Shalini - Thank u v.much! U made my day!!! :D

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Has to be me said…

    Hi Smiley...welcome! Thanx.
    What is the other side to the story?

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Superb article. I second your views.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home