LOGIN TO MY WORLD

Welcome to my 'Blog' world, which is away from the real world. Get to see from my perspective & share yours with me.

Friday, August 07, 2009

Good morning!!!

Yippe! Yippee! Im back! Been missing my space a lot! And I hope I would more regular & that I will visit all your blogs very soon. Thanks to Blogeswari, Umm Oviya , Teesu etc for the motivation to restart yet again!

I couldn’t think of a more apt way to start again, than greeting you all “Good morning”


To my little knowledge, this term “Good morning” is used to greet people anytime in the morning till noon. Thereafter I think it is “Good afternoon / Good evening”. But no, some people think differently!!

I first noticed this with a colleague who greeted me “Good morning” just past noon. I initially ignored thinking he wasn’t aware that it was past noon. Thereafter I started noticing that he would greet me thus, irrespective of the time of the day…once it was post lunch & once closer to 5 in the evening!

Hence I thought he ought to be corrected. So the next time he greeted me “Good morning” in the afternoon, I reciprocated with a “Good afternoon”! But no he got offensive & explained to me that you need to wish “Good morning” when you speak / see the particular person for the first time during the day!!!!

OMG! New meanings!!

I soon shared this joke with yet another more sensible colleague. She laughed & said that apparently this is a common practice is many other companies.

And true to her words, I noticed this with my (multinational) Banker, some consultants & also some professional organizations! You call their office & the receptionist says “Good morning……” even at the closing hours!!! Is it by default? Or sheer ignorance?!

Nevertheless, “Good morning” my dear bloggers! (Hoping you are reading this in your morning hours!!!)

16 Comments:

  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger Hip Grandma said…

    Hurrah!I am the first to welcome you back.Was happy to be commented upon by you after so long a time.what have you been doing?do share your experiences.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger gils said…

    wwwoooooooohooo :) hey welcome back..nice to see ur comment on my blog..plesant surprise..enga iruekenga ipo? chennai? ver ver u all these days?

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Teesu (very very Indian, very very good) said…

    Nice to see you posting. No, it is sheer ignorance, of course. When you wish someone when you see them for the first time that day, perhaps the right phrase would be 'Good Day!' both for hi and bye. But this Good Morning continuing past noon I have seen and decided it is either ignorance or just involuntary, but have not encountered a 'good morning' in the evenings. That's absurd. Your first colleague is mistaken. But if he wants to be pig headed about it (like I am being now;)), well, it's his life...

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger The Reading Corner said…

    hey good morning11 glad to see u back

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great! back...

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger Priya said…

    WB:))) Rombha nala aala kanoom...

     
  • At 1:56 AM, Blogger Blogeswari said…

    Welcome back, HTBM! (konjam LGBTMT, H1N1 'range'ula illa acronym?)

    Maruvaadaya regular-a update pannu.

    Good morning-kkka!

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Anonymous artnavy said…

    Good Afternoon HTBM. Good to see u back!!

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger KK said…

    Woooooooooooooooooow!!! Welcome back!!! Glad you see you back blogging!!!
    A very good Morning indeed!

    I haven't come across this until now... but surely sounds weird to me.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Ekta said…

    its 5:00pm here...but nevertheless!!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Has to be me said…

    @ Hip GM, Thanks for the welcome!! Will share my experiences soon! :-)

    @ Gils, Been right thru in Chennai!

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Lavs said…

    And now you can visit my blog from the link in my profile. Glad to have met you again after one whole year!

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger KK said…

    I have tagged you :)

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger geeth said…

    Welcome back dear :)

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger gils said…

    hey chennaia!!! unga mail id thatti udunga..mine is vidhyasankar.ravindran@gmail.com

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said…

    Welcome back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home